CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 1, 2008

Capitol City Day Four

Sunday was arguably my favorite day of this trip. We got up early and went to Mount Vernon. I've loved Mount Vernon ever since I first visited it, probably thirteen years ago. The estate has undergone extensive restorations since then, including a beautiful new visitor's center and museum. Before touring the mansion, we decided to take a Potomac River cruise. The views from the ship were incredible - views of the home Washington loved from the river he loved equally. I've now got a nice sunburn as a souvenir!After spending about six hours at Mount Vernon, we rushed to Arlington National Cemetery and were fortunate to catch the very last tour and the last changing of the guard. The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a very solemn moment. Before beginning the ceremony, the guard requests that all observers stand in silence. We also saw the Kennedy tombs, as well as the Challenger and Columbia Memorials, from a distance.From Arlington, we went to our very last stop...the Jefferson Memorial. This may have been my favorite of the memorials. I love the shape of it, which hints at the shape of Monticello.
We reached the Jefferson Memorial at sunset, so the views were amazing. This is the Washington Monument, viewed from inside the Jefferson Memorial. I sat on the steps of the memorial for about fifteen minutes, snapping all sorts of pictures, trying to catch what I wanted. This city is beautiful at dusk - the lights are reflected in the Potomac and the Tidal Basin.

It's been such a fun trip, but we're both ready to get home. I'm watching the news right now and praying that our flights aren't delayed. We're flying from Baltimore to Atlanta, then from Atlanta to Dallas. We'll be crossing the path of Gustav, so I'm concerned that we might run into some weather delays. But we'll deal with that as we come to it!

0 comments: