CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Crescendo


Sarah responded to my last post with this comment, which reminded me of a scrapbook page I did a few months ago.

I have three or four scrapbooks going at any given time. Most of them I'll readily share and even force people to read, but there's one that is much like a journal. I usually hold that one a little closer and share it with very few. But I'm making an exception here. So...here's the text of the journaling seen on the page above.

"A tremendous musical crescendo never fails to elicit an emotional response from me. Consider the magnificent finale to the 1812 Overture, accented by an equally magnificent fireworks display. My favorite example, though, is Stonebriar's arrangement of 'A Mighty Fortress'. On the third verse, the orchestra slows on the last line, leading into a breathtaking bridge, which swells as it nears the fourth verse. The kettle drums sound and the congregation joins in with 'That word, above all earthly powers...'. And without fail, my eyes fill with tears and a lump forms in my throat."
'A Mighty Fortress' has been my favorite hymn for many years, not only because of the incredible musical possibilities it presents, but also for its profound lyrics, so rich in sound, strong theology. How can I fail to be moved by this - "The Spirit and the gifts are ours, through Him who with us sideth. Doth ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He. Lord Sabaoth His name, from age to age the same. And He must win the battle!" - especially when it is sung to a full orchestra?

2 comments:

Mommy Parr said...

Fantabulous! There is nothing more amazing then standing in the Stonebriar congregation and singing great hymns. For me, though, it doesn't get any better then "And Can It Be". I can just barely make it through the last verse especially the end when you sing "Bold I approach the eternal throne, and claim the crown, thru Christ my own". One of the things that tops my list of things I love about you is our shared admiration for great and traditional church music. Gosh, your great! LY

Miss Mommy said...

Y'all know I'm not musical, but I love your comments here and am amazed at your eloquence!