CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Sooner at heart"

I got an update on last Saturday's big game that I just had to share.

At one point in the game, a mom sitting behind us leaned forward to ask if we had noticed that my dad (assistant coach) had pulled a few of the boys aside and was talking to them. We really didn't think too much about it until a couple of days ago.

Come to find out, Dad pulled a very specific group of boys aside - those who had played for the Sooners in past years. As he did, he told them "You were taught to play better than this. You were taught to hold a tackle. You were taught to block. Your jerseys may say Saints, but you're Sooners. So play like it!"

How cheesy is that? It sounds like something straight out of Friday Night Lights or Remember the Titans! But it worked!!!! That was the turning point in the game. The boys started blocking and that's also when they scored!

4 comments:

Mommy Parr said...

Now, let me argue one for the cheesy sports pump-up talk. Even though they may seem weird to the on-looker sport speeches really are inspiring to the team. You give so much of yourself during a game and to have someone encourage and believe in you when you need it most brings out your greatest potential. Imagine if you were totally defeated while shopping one afternoon because everything you tried on made you look 40lbs heavier and suddenly your best friend showed up and told you how beautiful you are and that no matter what has happened in past stores you can reclaim your inner shopper in the stores to come. I think you would feel reenergized and motivated to buy tons of cute clothes. Ok, maybe I didn't convince you but take my word for it.....when it is the 9th inning, your down by only one run, the bases are loaded, there are 2 outs, your up to bat with a full count, and it is the last game of your senior year, those speeches are meaningful and unforgettable. :) LY

Rach said...

You had me at shopping. But then you lost me in the 9th inning.

Miss Mommy said...

I have to agree... :)...with Rach...however, inspirational speeches always move me, much to Josh's amusement!

Rach said...

Oh, don't get me wrong...I find them very moving! I think the single greatest part of any given episode of Friday Night Lights is the inspirational "we can win this" speech!